19 July 2017
























Meret Oppenheim, Object (Fur Breakfast, Fur Covered Cup) 1936, MOMA.






This is by way of experiment to see exactly how much text fits in before the "see more" option cuts it off. My plan is, for the moment, to write on Facebook only what text will show up above that line before I insert a link for my blog for more detailed text.....So, it appears it's about five lines, and I'll try to work with that. I'll start on Facebook with what's most personal in my response, and then go on the the blog for information. Well it's more than seven lines. And I've always loved this piece which feels to me like the polar antithesis of the period's art deco. Don't tell PETA, but I really like fur, and am infatuated with it's textures against form, or against other, contrasting textures like Ruben's portrait of Helena Fourment that I posted earlier.....OK. I'm confused because it appears that I can write more lines than I thought at first before the break... I'm enraptured by how cozy the object is, how soft, and how disgusting it is (literally dis-gusting) if you think of the etymology of the word. The texture of the spoon (wrapped in fur) against the texture of the tongue, the texture of the cup against the liquid it would ordinarily contain...Oppenheim was a Swiss artist who had associations, especially conceptually, with the dada movement of the early 20th century.

No comments:

Post a Comment